Demolition by the Darts

Friday 11th September 2015 9:49 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

SDFL premier division

Dartmouth AFC 8,

Dartmouth built on their opening day 1-0 victory over Loddiswell Athletic with an 8-1 triumph over Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves at Longcross on Satur­day.

Tuesday night saw the Darts claim a narrow victory over their near-neighbours Lod­diswell courtesy of a strike from Karl Baker, the quickest goal re­corded in South Devon Football League history, after only six seconds.

Adam Kerswell and Mark Forrester bought in Charlie Smith and Liam McAuley for Saturday’s game and were hoping to replicate Tuesday night’s performance, but the Darts struggled to exert any early pressure and were consequently on the back foot in the opening stages.

They so nearly went behind when the away striker broke free before seeing his 20-yard effort smash against the crossbar, and this let off seemed to spark the Darts in to life.

Immediately after this lucky escape Karl Baker was played through before rounding the ‘keeper and laying off to Josh Webber, who clinically smashed into an empty net.

The hosts soon doubled their lead when Baker again turned provider.

This time it was the energetic Ben Greeno who timed his run well before composing himself and excellently slotting into the corner of the net with his so called weaker left foot.

Dartmouth went into the break three up when good work from Freddie Smith, Charlie Smith and Greeno saw the latter’s ball played back for Webber, who dummied the ball brilliantly for Baker to slot inot the net from close range.

Spurs returned from the break the sharper of the two sides and were denied a way back into the match when Ryan Walton in the Dart­mouth goal tipped a long-range effort on to the bar.

Dartmouth continued to press for a killer fourth goal and scored in controversial fashion after 55 minutes; Baker received the ball from Webber in an apparent offside position, but no flag was raised and he slotted in to the delight of the Longcross faithful.

Soon after they were handed the opportunity to increase their margin of victory when Karl Baker was taken out in the penalty area; Liam McAuley stepped up to the spot and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to extend his side’s lead.

Any hope of the away side claiming anything from the match were handed a major blow when a dangerous tackle on Charlie Smith resulted in the Spurs striker receiving his marching orders.

Richie Baker re­placed the injured Smith and crossed su­perbly for full-back Ryan Frost to head in from a tight angle for Dartmouth’s sixth of the afternoon.

To the disappointment of the Dartmouth defence, Spurs scored a consolation goal when a ball across the face of the goal was tapped in from close range.

Order was soon re­stored when Karl Baker deservedly sealed his hat-trick; he dispatched Greeno’s through ball with a perfectly timed volley that nestled into the far corner of the net.

Youngsters Liam Wadeson and Solley Metchette were introduced for the final quarter.

Wadeson soon made an impression as his excellent cross found the unmarked Metch­ette, who clipped his effort into the bottom corner for his first senior goal.

This was enough to to seal Dart­mouth’s second league win and maintain their 100 per cent start to the season.

This week the first team travel to unbeaten Kingsteignton Athletic in the league, kick off is at 2.30pm.


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0