SDFL premier division

Dartmouth AFC 7,


Athletic 0

Dartmouth return­ed to league action on Satur­day and continued their unbeaten start to the season with a comprehensive 7-0 victory over Kingsteignton Athletic.

Returning manager Gary Lobb made two changes to last week's defeat of Buckland and Milber, with Adam Shobbrook and Cam Kelly handed a place in the starting 11 in place of Charlie Smith and Kurtley Hassall.

Dartmouth were looking to take the game to their opponents from the first whistle, and it didn't take them too long to find their rhythm.

The first meaningful attack of the match saw Karl Baker head over from a Freddie Smith cross before Kelly went close from a Josh Webber corner.

They weren't to be denied the opening goal for too long; Baker combined well with Dan Broadway before the latter played the ball to Mark Forrester on the edge of the box to smash in with great conviction.

Webber, on the left flank, continued to cause his defender all sort of problems, and his delightful low cross was close to finding left-back Ryan Frost at the back post.

Down the other end of the field 'keeper Darren Goss had to stay alert to smother a strike from distance, and the visitors came close to equalising against the run of play when they were awarded an indirect free kick inside the penalty box.

Luckily for Dart­mouth Kelly was in the right place to make a crucial block.

The hosts regained control of the match on the half-hour mark when Forrester produced another fine finish from long distance to double his and the team's tally for the afternoon.

Just before the interval Shobbrook thought he had his first goal for the club, but the crossbar denied him a goal on his first start.

Dartmouth continued to dictate proceedings with some brilliant flowing football, and they were unlucky not to take a three-goal lead into the break when Baker shot over after he looked destined to finish.

The home side carried on from the break as they had finished, and within the opening minute of the second half Smith pulled back to Baker, who confidently dispatched his shot into the roof of the net.

The next home attack was created deep inside the Dartmouth half; Jordan Frost played a ball to the feet of Broadway, who clipped his pass through to the onrushing Baker to round the 'keeper and make the score 4-0.

The home side were now attacking at pace, and it was the excellent Webber who scored the fifth goal of the game when he powerfully shot into the net after Baker was denied his hat-trick.

Despite Dartmouth's dominance the visitors continued to battle, and they would have been rewarded for their efforts had it not been for the inspired form of Goss in goal.

Wave after wave of attacks eventually en­sured captain Broad­way pencilled his name on to the scoresheet.

Baker caused havoc in the visitors' defence before he found his strike partner waiting on the penalty spot to fire home past the despondent 'keeper.

With 15 minutes remaining Richie Baker did well to regain possession in his own half, and after some quick feet from Shobbrook and Webber the ball fell invitingly to the feet of Baker in the box. The inevitable happened as he completed his hat-trick with a clinical finish.

Late efforts from substitute Dave Gilham and Smith threatened to increase the margin of victory, but the whistle sounded to hand Dartmouth the three points.

It must be said that the match was played on a perfect Longcross surface, and club managers Terry Chalk and Gary Lobb must take huge credit for all their hard work and effort in ensuring the pitch was in pristine condition.

Dartmouth reserves picked up their first league point of the season with a 3-3 draw away at Waldon thirds; Ben Greeno and two Simon Holmes goals were enough to grind out a good result.

This week Dart­mouth firsts play host to fellow new boys Bovey Tracey reserves in the premier division, and Dartmouth re­serves were without a scheduled fixture at the time of writing.

The match kicks off at 2.30pm at Longcross.