Kings cruise past Kirton in the cup

Friday 14th November 2014 12:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.


Intermediate Cup

KINGSBRIDGE entertained Crediton in the first round of this season's Devon Interme­diate Cup at High House on Saturday with a much changed team from the previous week due to unavailabilities.

However those that stepped up to the plate to fill in certainly helped the team pro­gress to the next round, where Kingsbridge will now face either Exeter Saracens or Honiton at home in the quarter-finals.

Kingsbridge started strongly right from the kick-off and put the visitors under pressure immediately.

That pressure was rewarded with a penalty shot after only three minutes, which Ashley Treeby duly converted for a 3-0 lead.

The hosts then extended that lead with the first try of the match on 10 minutes. A neat cross-field kick and excellent follow-up work from captain Ben Glover saw the ball come back in field for prop Mike Powell to cross over for his sixth try of the season. Treeby converted to extend the lead to 10-0.

Treeby added a second penalty on 28 minutes to increase the lead to 13-0 and two minutes later the home side crossed over for their second try to pull away to 20-0.

An overlap on the left saw great hands from centre Glover and full-back Robert Scott before the ball reached winger Jack Evans – making a welcome return to the team after a year out – who after an initial juggle raced in to touch down from half way. Treeby converted once again to complete the first half.

The opening period of the second half saw the game tighten up. Both sides had their chances to score but the defences held firm.

After 20 minutes of the half Kingsbridge broke the deadlock with their third try of the game. A kick through from Kings­bridge was partially charged down by the visitors and home skipper Ben Glover was quickest off the mark to run through and collect the loose ball before accelerating away to score under the posts.

Treeby added a third conversion to see the home side go 27-0 ahead.

The visitors scored a consolation try less than 10 minutes from the end of the game as they intercepted a loose Kingsbridge pass in mid field to score under the posts and reduce the deficit to 27-7.

Kingsbridge had the last word in the final minute as an overlap on the left saw the Crediton defence tied in and replacement winger Luke Davies crossed in the corner.

Treeby again converted to complete the scoring and see Kings­bridge comfortably through to the next round.

This Saturday sees Kingsbridge first XV return to league action and a trip to face Penryn.

Kingsbridge A XV welcome Honiton to High House in the Devon second XV Merit Table with kick-off at 2.30pm, while the Colts welcome Plymstock in the Devon Colts Merit Table with kick-off at 2pm.


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0