1-0 Chris Wright 34’

A scrappy win for Ivybridge continues their unbeaten start to the season, despite resolute defending from Teignmouth.

Early on both team’s game plan was clear.  Ivybridge wanted to keep the ball and break Teignmouth down, whilst Teignmouth sat back and were playing on the counter, often relying on long balls to their strikers.

Neither side created any meaningful chances in the opening stages of the game, with Teignmouth’s deputy goalkeeper Jack Baxter making some strong saves early on.

However, moments later Teignmouth were lucky not to be down to ten men. Centre back Piers MacLaughlan cynically brought down an Ivy player who was through on goal after a delicious ball played over their back line.

Both teams’ managers were becoming frustrated with decisions going against them and both sides continuing to waste chances. Teignmouth boss Liam Jones was eventually yellow carded for arguing with the referee.

As the game moved on Ivy grew into it, creating more chances and it seemed inevitable that they would get the opening goal. Shortly after the half hour mark, the opening goal came from Ivy striker Chris Wright. Fumbling the ball into the back of the net after a towering header from Connor Rush was palmed into Wrights path.

For the rest of the first half this pattern continued, Ivy creating all the chances but not being able to put them away. With Baxter making a point blank save to deny Rush and Ivy a second and keeping Teignmouth in the game going into half time. Ending a feisty first half where Ivy could’ve had more, and Teignmouth were lucky to still have eleven men on the pitch.

Shortly after the second half started Ivy’s Jack Alexander made a quick and direct run into the box, only to be brought down by a Teignmouth defender. However, the referee judged Alexander to have dived and booked him for simulation. Sparking passionate remonstrations from Ivy players and fans.  

Ivy continued to dominate the ball and had all the chances but just couldn’t get any of them on target or properly test Teignmouth’s deputy goalkeeper. Teignmouth continued to drop deep playing five at the back but struggled to offer much when they did manage to get forward.

Teignmouth’s frustrations boiled over when Ashley Donohue was given a second yellow card for dissent. Making an already tough job even tougher.

Ivy’s high press and endless possession kept Teignmouth pinned in their own half for the rest of the match. Ivy were still creating good chances for themselves but their wastefulness in front of goal meant they couldn’t kill the game off.

It wasn’t pretty, but Ivy got the job done and continued their unbeaten start to the campaign.

After full-time Ivybridge co-manager Wayne Gamble said: “We’ll take the three points and probably erase that game from our minds…

They defended quite well; we just didn’t have that but of magic to kill the game off…

We’ve gone through the motions today and against a better side we’ll get picked off.”

On Tuesday nights cup match against Torquay United Gamble said: “Looking forward to it, but that was a get out of jail card today, if we play against Torquay like that we’ll get picked off. We need to up our game all round the park.”