Honours even

Friday 25th January 2013 12:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

SDFL, Division Two:

Beesands Rovers 1,

Broadhempston United 1

Players, supporters and officials braved the inclement weather, with bitter cold winds also in attendance.

Not a day for faint-hearted players, and fortunately for a changed Beesands Rovers, all of their players showed true grit, determination and a never say die attitude.

The game began with end to end attacking, heavily dictated by the weather. Ben Bromfield had the first effort on goal for Bees, but his shot was saved by the Broads 'keeper.

With the game ebbing and flowing, Dave Lang and Lee Morgan both had shots saved, before a Dave Lang corner produced a punched clearance by the 'keeper. Morgan shielded the ball well and played it back to Lang, whose long-range shot troubled the 'keeper but was dealt with.

Soon after, a free kick by Bromfield was pounced on by Rob Greenwood, who swept the ball in for a 1-0 lead.

Broadhempston were keen to protect their league-leading position and pressurised with sustained attacks. Sean Raymont pulled off the first of a number of good saves.

With Bees starting to exert more pressure, Bromfield put a long-range shot well wide, before Alex Browne powered forward from his central defensive position and neatly passed to Wellens, who in turn fed it to Lang. He cut the ball back, with the opposition defence in disarray, but unfortunately no team mates were to hand.

Beesands were cruelly robbed of a distinct advantage when a lovely move ended with a one-on-one with the 'keeper, only for the referee to pull it back for a Beesands free kick from which nothing was gained.

Beesands continued to press, earning several corners which came to nothing.

The half-time whistle gave both sets of players some well-earned respite from the bitter conditions.

The second half started with the away team with the wind in their favour and showed some attacking threat without capitalising.

The Bees replied well with Mikey Dennis winning a free kick which was headed by Hansen to Wellens, with the 'keeper saving.

Neat interplay between Morgan, Wellens and Lang resulted in a long-range shot which was just wide, before Broadhempston attacked, trying to retrieve the deficit. Bromfield blocked two attempts, ending in corners, and breathed a sigh of relief when Broadhempston ended up with the ball in the Bees' net but it was rightly given as offside.

With the game still very open, Raymont produced successive gutsy saves, punching a long-range cross clear and then bravely palming out a shot to clear.

Broadhempston continued to try to break their deadlock. A long-range shot fizzed high over the bar before a shot hit Browne's arm and a penalty was given. Broadhempston levelled at 1-1. The game only had time for two brave interceptions by Browne.

The managerial team of Pete Bromfield and Malcolm Lamble will have been proud of what was a very gutsy and hard-fought performance.

The-man-of-the-match went to Alex Browne.

Beesands' next game is at home this Saturday in the Lidstone Cup against Kingsteignton Athletic seconds with a 2pm kick-off. Everyone is welcome to come and support.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0