WBW SDFL Premier Division

Dartmouth AFC 3,

Dartmouth AFC opened up their league campaign on Saturday and recorded a 3-1 home victory against Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves.

As a number of players decided to move on to other clubs this summer, Dartmouth AFC fielded only four of last season’s regulars, with the rest of the squad made up of reserve team players who are more than capable of playing in the Premier Division.

The Longcross turf was in fine condition and this helped Dartmouth settle early and score the opening goal after only five minutes.

Left back Kev Causley threaded the ball over the top of the opposition defence for Charlie Smith to run on to; he took on his marker before diverting a dangerous ball into the area.

The club’s top scorer from the last campaign, Nick Rushe, who was playing for the reserves last season, rifled home first time in front of the clubhouse end to open his account for the season. This allowed Dartmouth to relax and take control of the game, with Dan Drury, Danny Rushe, Jordan Frost and Causley starting to move the ball around well from the back.

The next real chance of the game fell to the away side and they took their opportunity to equalise against the run of play.

A long ball over the top found the onrushing striker, who showed good composure to lob the ball over goalkeeper Sam Davies.

The hosts looked to regain the lead before the half-time break, but despite the best efforts of Joe Kirby, Ben Greeno and wingers Robbie Chalk and Scott Mcroy the teams went in at the interval all square.

Managers Gary Lobb and Alex Buscombe decided to change to a more attacking ­formation, and this seemed to work when Dartmouth scored on the hour mark.

Chalk passed the ball infield to Smith, and it was he who again fizzed the ball across the face of goal for makeshift striker Danny Rushe to volley home from six yards out.

The away side pushed more men forward in search for a ­second equalising goal, but a series of corners were all dealt with. In truth, the home side were the most likely team to score, and they all but sealed the three points with a third goal after 75 minutes.

Danny Rushe latched on to a clearance downfield from Mcroy to cleverly round the Spurs keeper and pass into an empty net from a tight angle.

Richard Yeo and Rhys Morrallee were introduced for the final few minutes and they helped Dartmouth to see out the game and claim a deserved victory.

The club would like to thank linesman Harry Webb, groundsman Terry Chalk and Joyce Wadeson and Roger Causley for providing food to both teams.

This weekend Dartmouth AFC host Upton Athletic at Longcross, with kick-off at 2.30pm.