The trial of a South Hams man who is accused of rape has been delayed because he may be facing further allegations.
Jay Hubbard was due to stand trial for rape at Exeter Crown Court in August but the case has been rescheduled for October 28.
Hubbard, 25, of Chestnut Grove, Dartmouth, has denied raping an under age teenaged girl who he allegedly met over the internet.
He is due to appear in court shortly accused of a similar allegation against a second girl and the case will be sent to Crown Court by magistrates to tie up with the existing case.
Peter Coombe, prosecuting, said the CPS have advised charging Hubbard with a further offence of rape against a second girl.
Rupert Taylor, defending, said it was desirable for both cases to be heard together and this would require a new timetable.
Judge Peter Johnson remanded Hubbard in custody and said an application to extend custody time limits will be considered when he appears for a plea and trial preparation hearing in relation to the fresh allegations.
Hubbard has already pleaded guilty to other charges. He has admitted three counts of sexual activity with a child, two of failing to comply with a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO), and two of failing to abide by the terms of the sex offenders register.
The breaches of the SHPO include communicating with under age girls on Snapchat and Instagram, and staying in the same address as a female under 16 on two occasions in May last year.
The SHPO was imposed by South and West Devon magistrates on November 27, 2017, when he was also placed on the sexual offenders’ register.
The order restricted his contact with children and required him to inform their parents or the children and young people’s services if he had any real or online contact.
Two further counts of breaching the SHPO have been shelved and the judge ordered they should lie on file and not be proceeded with.
CommentsTo leave a comment you need to create an account. |